This post may contain paid and/or affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.. em>
My journey as an entrepreneur started in 2009. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I wanted to quit and throw in the towel. It had got so bad at one point that I had started doubting what God had placed on the inside of me. I thought I was going to be working a 9-5 job forever and not be able to live my dreams. Thank God for second and third chances right? Along the way, I have made my share of mistakes and believe you me, I’m going to continue to fail my way to the top. One of my favorite quotes that I love to say is: “On your way up the success ladder, reach back and help someone else, so when I make it to the top, I won’t be alone”
Being a mompreneur has taught me a lot of valuable lessons along the way, but I wouldn’t have all of them without my mistakes/failures. Today, I want to share with you a few of them:
5 Mistakes New Entrepreneurs Make
- Not Gaining Clarity: See, I had this big old idea that I could sell to any and everybody. All I had on my agenda, early on, was to make money and make lots of it. Well, my little fantasy came crumbling down after my first year in business. I didn’t make crap, but oh honey I was in the -$3,000 on my tax return. I was so selfish as to not hire a coach to help me gain clarity because I had the notion that why would I give my money to a coach when I’m not even making money. One of the main reasons why you might not be making money in your business is because you don’t know who you are speaking to. I always say gain clarity and the money will follow.
- Not picking a niche: At that time, I didn’t know what a niche was and really frankly, I didn’t care. Again, all I wanted to do was make money at home so I could be with my kiddos. Childcare was killing us and I needed a way of escape. After a while, the word niche started chasing me and it became nerve wrecking. I knew I had to do something, otherwise, I was going to be doing the same thing the following year.
More related articles
- 5 Reasons why you are not making money
- How to make money on your blog
- 10 Must have tools for mompreneurs
- How to start a blog
- Giving away everything for free: I felt like in order for me to build the know like and trust factor, I had to let them test it before they buy it right? Wrong, it’s a limit to how much you should give away and not give away the whole cow. I was giving away three-tier diaper cakes and it was killing my pockets.
- Jack of all trades: You are doing too much. Yes, this week, you’re a jewelry designer, the next week, you are a life coach. This is exactly why gaining clarity is so important when you first start out. Because if you don’t have clarity, you will think you are talking to everybody when in reality, nobody hears you.
- Looking for Free stuff everywhere: At my earlier days, I was a google and youtube queen! I would stay up late nights and research and research and research until some nights I would end up sleeping in my office at the desk. I was so determined to find my answer, but guess what, it only led me to dead ends. No coach who has invested thousands of dollars, are going to give you a solution to your problem for free. I finally said enough was enough and I hired my first coach for $97 and believe me it was the greatest investment that I made. Not only was she a coach, but she was in the same industry as I was, so that was the icing on the cake.
I hope this article has been a blessing to you and that you are seriously taking a look at gaining clarity on who you are serving. Please share this with your family and friends because sharing is caring!
QUESTION: Are you clear on finding your targeted audience? Leave me a comment