This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission) at zero cost to you. Please see my full disclosure policy for details..
Everybody is talking about how to increase your happiness. It is true what they say that “your happiness is your responsibility”. To me, happiness, at the age of forty-two looks totally different from my twenty-year-old self. Life can be amazing and really it’s what you make of it. Over these last few years, I’ve experienced so much joy and its coming from the unlikely places. These days, I find myself getting excited by watching Home decor and personal hygiene videos on YouTube or binge-watching Meet the Browns with my daughter. I’ve also learned how to build extreme action figures with my son and to listen to him explain all of it to me, brings me so much joy! (Most days I have no clue what he’s talking about but I listen LOL) See, when you get my age, a lot of stuff that used to upset me or I found myself getting worried about, does not phase me one bit. Life is too short and precious to give my focus and attention to crazy stuff.
While your happiness is solely a decision that you have to make, doing things that brings you joy can help in the process. See, when I was much younger, I looked for my validation in happiness in all the wrong places. I thought, my happiness came from me being liked by my peers or when I became older, from the guy that I was dating.
Looking back on it, a lot of my unhappiness came from me not liking myself and dealing with low self-esteem. I tell my daughter all the time, that her happiness and identity can’t come from outside influences because it’s temporary. When you give other people the responsibility to make you happy, you give away your power to them. If they love you today, you’re happy with yourself. But, if they don’t like you or love you tomorrow, then your self-esteem is shot to hell. You have to get to a place where you are no longer depending on others to make you feel good about yourself.
I’m going to share with you five things that you can do to increase your JOY & HAPPINESS. So, sit back and relax and enjoy these few tips:
5 Things to Increase your Happiness
- Figure out what’s causing you pain. What is it that’s got you so worried? Is it a person, place, or thing? When you dig deeper and get to the root cause of your pain, I promise you, your joy will start to rise up on the inside of you. It’s going to require you to be honest with yourself and give yourself some grace.
- Find some things that bring you joy. Ask yourself what makes you happy? Take a chance on some new hobbies and figure what you like in this season of your life.
Other posts you will love
- Switch up your usual routines. If you always travel one direction to work or play, switch it up a bit. You never know how beautiful God’s creations are unless you take the time to look up.
- Read a new book. Reading brings so much joy to my life especially when I’m learning and it’s something that interests me. I could spend all day at Barnes & Noble. Here are a few of my favorites and I’m sure you will love them too.
- Travel more. When was the last time you traveled to a new location? Go have some fun and experience something new. You never know what doors God will open up for you. Get cashback when you shop through Rakuten (Formerly knowns as Ebates)
Conclusion: Stop giving away your power to other people in hopes of them making you feel good about yourself. Your happiness is your responsibility and yours alone. You will soon start to realize that when you search deep within yourself, there is a lot to you that is super amazing. Start to believe what God says about you and leave the opinions of other people to the birds. You are worthy of an amazing life and nothing or no one can take from you, what is meant for you.
Originally posted April 2019….updated March 23, 2020.
QUESTION: Tell me in the comments below: What makes you happy?